Q: What is the worst thing that can happen to a baker with sticky buns on her mind?
A: Realizing that her yeast is dead [way before expiry date] after all the ingredients have been prepared.
And that was exactly what happened to me today, but unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it.
I don't know if its my oven finally throwing in the towel after 7 years of loyal service, or if I did something wrong, but the middle part of my sticky buns got completely burnt. The wonderful, perfectly golden brown sides taunting me with what-my-sticky-buns-could've-been.
Still, making these buns were a perfect way, for me, to end the midterm breaks, and to help me face school tomorrow. I particularly liked how the buns were lightly perfumed with the scent of the spices without overwhelming the taste buds. And, chocolate ALWAYS helps.
STICKY BUNS: ALMONDS CHOCOLATE STYLE.
310g plain flour
1 large egg
160g butter, softened
125ml milk [Warmed. Just til comfortable to the touch. Any warmer and you'll kill the yeast]
1 sachet instant yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Adjust as desired.
1 tbsp softened butter
5 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp honey/golden syrup
1 cup almonds, roughly chopped [substitute with any nuts u like]
- Combine sugar, 1 tbsp of flour, yeast and milk. Set in a warm place for around 10 mins until it is frothy. Very important to see froth, otherwise your yeast is dead and you need to make a trip to the supermarket.
- Combine flour and spices, set aside. Important to note: amount of flour given in any bread recipe is always an approximation. Stop adding flour when dough looks dry, and add more if it looks too wet.
- Beat together yeast mixture, egg and butter.
- Beat in the flour.
- Once flour is combined, either start kneading with hands or use the dough hook of the mixer. I don't like kneading, so dough hook for me. Knead until everything comes together into a bowl and pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover and let rise for an hour while preparing the topping.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and honey in a pot, and cook until everything comes together. Pour into a baking pan lined with foil.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over the caramel mixture and set aside.
- Once dough is rised, punch down and knead until smooth.
- Turn out and roll out into a rectangle shape, roughly 1/3 of an inch thick. Anything will do, no need to stress out over this.
- Lightly spread butter over the dough, then sprinkle with sugar, then the chocolate chips.
- Roll it up, length wise.
- Cut into individual rolls, of desired size, and pack closely, seams inwards, onto the baking pan with the topping. Let rise for around 1/2 hour.
- Bake in a hot 210 degree celsius pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes, or until browned.
- Once removed from the oven, turn the buns out immediately, or the caramel will harden and you'll never get it out.
- Ta-da, sticky buns, ready to be feasted upon =)