Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sorry, Diana


My previous post about my favorite Cakey Brownies has been galling me ever since I posted it. Firstly, the pictures were horrible, as I didn't have much time to take them. Secondly, the brownies themselves were horrible, as detailed in the post.

And, so, today, I decided that I will bake myself a perfect batch of brownies. However, as I looked over Diana's recipe, I begin to feel lazy, what with all the creaming and the waiting [for the butter to soften]. It didn't help that I had a ton of school work waiting for me. And so, I reached for my trusty Good Housekeeping cookbook, in the hopes of finding something less time consuming. And for the first time in the past month, I found what I was looking for.

I call this recipe the One-Bowl Brownie [the book called it Cocoa Brownies], and the name itself is good enough to make any baker swoon [this one did anyways]. One-bowl! Delightful concept, translating into less dishes to wash, and a quicker chocolate fix. I was worried that it would turn out to be treacherously fudgy, and it was indeed much less cakey than Diana's, but still arguably cakey, or at least not fudgy, so I'm happy.
And hence, I'm sorry to say, Diana, your cakey brownies recipe has been de-throned.

INGREDIENTS
100g butter

1 cup/190g sugar

2 large eggs

1 tspn vanilla extract

1/2 cup or 70g plain flour

1/2 cup or 70g cocoa powder

1/4 tspn baking powder

1/4 tspn salt

1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional

Its so freaking simple I can't believe it. The batter is also one of the most luscious I have ever come across.

Melt butter [in a large metal bowl, if you have it, or it'll be a 'two-bowl' brownie], stir in sugar. Stir in eggs vigorously, one by one, until well blended. Stir in vanilla extract. Sieve in all the dry ingredients, minus the nuts and chocolate chips, and mix well. Mix in the nuts and chocolate chips if using, and its ready to be baked in a preheated 180 degree celcius oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Then munch away!

No comments: