Monday, January 14, 2008

My latest indulgence


This is a bottle of S$30 vanilla essence that I bought because I'm sick of the generic stuff. Frankly speaking I was a little shocked at the price. Thirty bucks?! I bought it because the kindly lady assured me that it was good, and I was really grossed out by the generic stuff, and wanted to see what all the fuss about pure vanilla extract was.
Unfortunately, I have to report that so far that bottle of extract have not earned its price. The extract's flavour was much less intense than the generic stuff, bordering on bland. There was little hint of it in my cookies, even after I added an extra teaspoon of the stuff. What hint there was of it was far from extraordinary, and I actually think the generic stuff did a better job.
I'm going to pray that what was lacking was my baking skills, and not the extract, God knows my skills are abysmal. Since school has started, I have not had the chance to try the extract again, but when I do, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

No comments: