Saturday, August 9, 2008

HAPPY 43rd BIRTHDAY, SINGAPORE!


Yay, we are 43 years old! I love national day, I really do. Yes, I know the government make use of this day to brain wash impressionable kids by filling their brains with cheesy patriotic songs and by placing so many flags all over Singapore that from an aerial view Singapore must now look like a bunched up red and white ball of rags. I also know the whole concept of national day is merely an invented tradition. Still, whether the children's faces are glowing with nationalistic pride or ecstasy at a day off school, the whole country feels I alive on this day, and I love it.

Seems like Yahoo loves it too!


So, the irreverent cook decided to commemorate this wonderful day by baking the only red and white thing she knows, and that is the calzone!

A calzone is basically a folded pizza, which means there will be the obligatory tomato paste and mozzarella. Red and white, get it? I know its lame, but its the best I could come up with =P


Anyways, about the calzone, I really love it! I think I'm never going out for pizza again, I can make it myself! Jaime Oliver would be very proud.

INGREDIENTS

Pizza dough:

1 1/4 cups warm water

1 package [11g] dry/instant yeast

1 tspn sugar

2 tbspn olive oil

2 tspn salt

about 4 cups plain flour


In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water, yeast and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Leave to foam. Stir in remaining cup of water, salt, oil and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the flour, until smooth. Using the mixer or your hands, knead in the rest of the flour. Not all the flour have to be used up, just until the dough is smooth and elastic and won't take any more flour. Shape dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Divide into 8 balls and roll out into circles. Fill one half of the circle with your filling of choice. [I used tomato paste, shredded chicken, stir-fried mushrooms, and sliced mozzarella cheese]


To make pleated design, start off with the top right hand corner, turning it down and pressing it into the dough. Repeat action until the whole calzone is sealed. Bake in a 220 degree celcius preheated oven until puffed and browned, around 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Singapore! ~<3