Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies


I made these cookies with the intention of sending off a dear friend, who is leaving Singapore in a few days to further her studies, which means I'll probably next see her god-knows-when. Good luck Audrey!! I'll be there to chill with you over a beer as soon as I can!


Careful readers of my humble blog will have noted that I've mentioned a couple of times before that I hate making cookies, chiefly because I hate having to spoon out a zillion drops of dough, and then wait [im]patiently while my tiny oven hobble along one tray at a time. What I wouldn't do for one of those giant ovens that can handle a whole batch at one go...


But I digress. Basically, dear readers, I am pleased to report that I have found a chocolate chip cookie recipe, that in my opinion, is near perfect. It gives a cookie that is crunchy on the outside yet slightly chewy on the inside, with a perfectly adorable crinkle top. It takes no time at all to whip up, because you don't need to cream the butter and sugar [yippeeeee], and last, but significantly, it spreads beautifully. This may sound trivial, but trust me when I say it is not. Not many batter can claim that it spreads as evenly and as splendidly as this one does, neither too thin, nor remaining in a stubborn lump as it cooks.


I took the recipe almost in its entirety from dear old Fearnley-Whittingstall. Only addition I made to the batter is to add some salted and roasted peanuts. You can replace it with any nuts you want, or omit it if you dislike nuts, but I find the salted nuts a quick and tasty addition to the classic chocolate chip cookie. Think salted caramel chocolate treats.


On a sidenote, can I just say how under-rated dear Fearnley-Whittingstall is? Every one of his recipes that I've tried has worked beeeeautifully, and he is such an endearing chap. His River Cottage series is top-notch as well, beating Jaime's hands down. So if there are any British ladies out there reading this, give the chap a chance =D [at this point, I am under the impression that Fearnley-Whittingstall is mysteriously single. If I have made a mistake, please forgive me, lady Fearnley-Whittingstall =P]

No comments: